Peace With Yourself


     Well, here I go for a second time writing this post. Somehow Blogger decided to publish--without my knowledge or even pushing the publish button. Of course at that time, there was nothing on the page!! And then I wrote for two hours.....And. It. Was. All. Gone!

     When autumn winds began to blow before the crush of the Christmas panic, I met an incredible writer at a Christian writers conference. And I made a promise. A promise to post a review about her award-winning book. Two months have passed. Life has slowed down. And with the introspection we all do around the New Year, I think this book review is timely.

     Vibrant. Creative. Artistic. Hospitable. Friendly. A passionate lover of Jesus and prayer. All describe Author Janis Cox. We had met online through Janis' popular blog, "Sunday Stillness," but when the opportunity presented itself to meet at a writer's conference in Phoenix, we both jumped at the chance. And how could I pass up meeting someone who spells her name the same unusual way that my Mom decided to spell my name?

     In addition, Janis offered for me to stay the night at her home even though I was a perfect stranger. She was sparing me a grueling two-hour drive home and back again the next morning. I gratefully accepted. Canadian born, Janis and her husband Wayne winter in Arizona. "Snowbirds." That's what us folks who live here through the sweltering summers like to call our winter visitors. We really envy them.

     Janis' book, "Tadeo Turtle," is about an animal who enjoys his life until he discovers that one of his friends has adventures impossible for Tadeo to experience because of the way he was made. Like most of us humans, Tadeo begins examining what the possibilities of life would be like if he could just change. And isn't that what most of us are thinking about with the start of a New Year. We look within ourselves, finding flaws, and then determining how we can change to improve ourselves.


     Through a series of misadventures, Tadeo (pronounced TAHD-ay-OH) discovers that God just might have known what He was doing when He made him a turtle with all of its limitations. In this 28-page book, colorful illustrations and a poetic tale lead children to find happiness in whom God made them to be. At the end of the book are several activities to heighten this lesson. Additionally a one-page scientific resource has notes on turtles.

     The name, Tadeo (from which we get Thaddeus), came to Janis while she was searching through a list of possible names that would form an alliteration with "turtle." Tadeo means "heart" and "praise." Seems like a good direction to focus our hearts for the New Year.

     Janis' book, winner of The Word Guild Word Awards, can be purchased through Amazon or by contacting Janis at her website: www.janiscox.com. Janis also blogs at "Under the Cover of Prayer" and holds a weekly blog hop, "Sunday Stillness." Check her and her book out. You will be delighted!

     On the title page, Janis has written this quote from Psalm 139:

"You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body
and knit me together in my mother's womb.
Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex!
Your workmanship is marvelous--how well I know it."
Psalm 139: 13-14 New Living Translation

    
From My Heart to Yours,
Linking with: Spiritual Sundays, Sunday Stillness, Scripture and a Snapshot, Weekend Brew, Playdates with God, Monday Musings, Tell Me a Story, Soli Deo Gloria, Three Word Wednesdays, 3dlessons4life, Winsome Wednesday, The Beauty in His Grip, Faith-Filled Fridays, Essential Things Fridays.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,