Who Is In Control?

   
"Where were you when I laid the earth's foundation?"
     Life is full of mountaintop experiences and descents into dark valleys full of shadows and doubts. Sometimes it seems that just as we are enjoying the blessing we have been praying for, life spins out of control and lands us about 180 degrees in the opposite direction. After having tumbled from the pinnacle into the abyss, encountering several bruises and injuries on the descent, we are tempted to foist our anger toward the Lord. Why would the God who just blessed us pull that blessing out of our hands?

     Was it really the Lord who turned the tables on us or was it the enemy of our souls? And if it was the Lord, what can we gain from this experience that will draw us closer to God?

     Who is in control after all?

      God supplies this answer in Job chapters 38 through 41.

     "Where were you when I laid the earth's foundation? Tell me, if  you understand.
Who marked off its dimensions? Surely you know?
Who stretched a measuring line across it?
On what were its footings set, or who laid its cornerstone--
while the morning stars sang together and all the angels shouted for joy?
Who shut up the sea behind doors when it burst forth from the womb,
when I made the clouds its garment and wrapped it in thick darkness,
when I fixed limits for it and set its doors and bars in place,
when I said, 'This far you may come and no farther; here is where your proud waves halt'?" 
Job 38:4-11 NIV

     Job put his hand over his mouth as he was humbled by the Lord of Lords and said he would speak no more. This signaled to me that I need to clamp my hand over my mouth and my heart when I am tempted to question God and His purposes. To think that I know best or at least I know what seemed to be best for me at the time, it's time to reflect on Who God is and to surrender to the One who knows all things.

     At the end of Job, chapter 42: 2-3, Job replies to God:

"I know that you can do all things; no plan of yours can be thwarted.
You asked, 'Who is this that obscures my counsel without knowledge?
Surely I spoke of things I did not understand,
things too wonderful for me to know."

     Oh, how much I want to control my life and all of my circumstances. I want to take the lofty moments and savor them like drops of honey slathered on fresh baked bread. But the God who knows all things is also the God who has all things under control. Nothing can thwart His plan. And He knows what He is doing.

      Dear Lord, as I fly on the wings of eagles rejoicing in your blessings, may I also praise You and trust You that You are still in control when I plummet into the depths of the valley. Help me to trust that nothing can thwart Your plan and that Your plan is for good for You know all things.


From My Heart to Yours,

Sundays spent with HIM
Scripture and Snapshot

Labels: , , , , , ,