A Few of My Favorite Things


          As I turned up the inclined road, it seemed my car was sweeping me into the gray cloud-filled sky. A hint of pink tinged the sky's corner and raindrops fell slowly against my windshield. The essence of fall was invading my senses as the desert landscape cooled its summer pace to a gentle breath of all that is autumn.
     The weather whispered cool breezes through open windows while visions of chicken noodle soup cooking on the stove drifted through my mind. And the car rose and fell on its way home. The rain gave hope like candles glowing that warmth and family would surround the table as darkness fell early. Sweaters and cozy blankets wrapped up the breeze and the thought tingled my skin. Harvest and hope. Warmth, love, and friendship all mingled in the pleasant thoughts. A new season had finally come.

     "The Lord is righteous in all His ways and loving toward all He has made. The Lord is near to all who call upon Him, to all who call on Him in truth." Psalm 145:17-18 NIV

     P.S. Welcome Friends. I'm making some changes to my blog design. You may see things transitioning as I continue to write from my heart. Lessons learned and life in progress while learning to yield more to the Lord's wisdom and direction. May you all be blessed by this slightly new direction and name change. "Heart-Filled Moments" will be the blog's new title, unless already copyrighted but so far I have not found that. My intention is to still share the lessons along this journey that the Lord is revealing to me. May they speak to your heart as well.

Janis



Dear Ann,
     I hope that this post will qualify for Food on Fridays as I mentioned Chicken Noodle Soup. Smile. I also had some wonderful snacks on that rolling road--Bugles and Flipz (when I got home).

CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP

About a 5 lb. broiler-fryer chicken
4-6 carrots, cut into 1/2 inch slices
4-6 celery sticks, also cut into 1/2 inch slices
1/2 of medium onion, sliced
Fresh sprigs of parsley or a couple of generous pinches of dried parsley flakes
2 pinches of dried marjoram leaves (my Mom's secret)
1 pinch of rubbed sage 
2 Tablespoons of Wyler's Chicken Granules
2 quarts of water
7 oz. of American Beauty Extra Wide Egg Noodles


Cut up the chicken into parts--two breasts, two legs, two thighs, two wings, and the back. Cut off the tail. Wash thoroughly with cool water, especially the chicken cavity where the blood pools.

Leave the skin on the chicken for the most flavorful soup. Place the cut up chicken in a six-quart pot with the vegetables and cover with water. Then sprinkle on the seasoning.

Heat up the pot until the water boils. If brown residue floats to the top, skim it off but leave the seasoning.
Cook chicken for 45 minutes.

Remove chicken from pot and let it cool on a plate. In the meantime, boil enough water for about 7 oz of noodles. Cook noodles for 7 minutes, drain, and add to chicken soup. 

When the chicken is cool enough to handle, tear or cut off pieces about 1 and 1/2 inches to add back into soup pot. Heat everything again for just a few minutes.

Serve with your favorite bread, rolls, or corn muffins--even popovers.


    

Labels: ,