He Has a Plan


     Only 22 days left. The countdown makes my heart race. The urgency builds to a crescendo tapping out every sacred moment. The notes beat a rhythm in my mind, echoing the refrain, "make every moment count."
     On July 18, our youngest son, Jordan, leaves for Navy Boot Camp. The final papers have been signed. The final "Yes," has been pronounced. Lists have been checked for the meager items he can take. Left behind are remnants of memories for me to gaze upon.
     I've passed through the anxiety of letting him go. I've grappled with the realignment of the vision we projected for his future. Since that day in November when he shattered the fragile composition in my mind with the announcement of his plans to join the Navy, I've tread through the miry pit, begging God to change our young man's plans.
     God answered that prayer in His way and not my way as He helped me slosh around in the mud until I finally let him rescue me from the pit. The Lord has taken me from total rejection of this plan to cheerleading my son's progress. Only the Lord could have done that.
      I've joined the website, Navy For Moms, scarfing up all the information posted by the Boot Camp group discussion while reaching out to meet local wives and moms in our state. So much to learn. What to send, where to write, how to pray, what steps the boot camp recruit is going through, how to encourage our recruits, how to prepare for their emotional and stunning precision graduation,
      Before he leaves in July, I'm trying to make those precious memories that will carry him (and me) through the tough eight weeks of intense and distant training. Together, we've made a list of his favorite dinners and desserts to make before he takes off.  A "Sailing Off to Boot Camp" party has been planned with all the Patriotic trimmings, homemade cookies and wristbands to pass out, reminding his friends to pray for him.

Hubby, Me, and our Sailor-to-Be (l-r) Oldest is taking the pic
 
     But we wanted one special family event that hopefully will soothe his heart and mind while he's away. In keeping with his sports bent, we all traveled up to Phoenix for an Arizona Diamondbacks baseball game. The seats were great and the home team won, sending us back down the highway with fond memories.
      In those times before he has the privilege to receive letters or write me a note or make a 5-minute phone call that says, "Hi, Mom~I love you," I hope these precious moments we have created will ease the pain a little.

     The Lord knew the plans He had for Jordan and how He would work in my son's future. He also knew that I would need to be strengthened through this journey.

     " 'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.' " Jeremiah 29:10-12 NIV

    And for me, the Lord has shown me once again:

     "Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any touble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God." 2 Corinthians 1:3-4 NIV

     So I'm thanking God these days for everything from a simple grocery shopping trip with youngest to watching the NBA playoffs on TV.  Soon the family room will echo with the emptiness of him


     Thank you God for all the good gifts multiplied over these past several weeks:


     877) Grocery shopping with youngest. He carries bundles. We joke with the cashier about feeding an army~really, though, he's Navy
     878) Planning secret surprises for the "Going Away Party."
     879) Baking rolled-out butter cookies in the shape of stars with my friend, Karen.
     880) Curled up time with the Lord
     881) Hubby helping out with the dinner-time cooking while I busy myself with the party
     882) Oldest's two job interviews~we're waiting, and waiting, and waiting.
     883) Hanging out with the guys while they rib each other about their favorite BB teams and players
     884) Hubby fixing the switch on the frig so that we get ice cubes again. Such simple pleasures!
     885) Chip, the wonder dog, surviving cancer surgery with the good news that it looks like the surgeon got all of the cancer cells. He's now the million $ dollar dog!
     886) Friends visiting from California.
     887) The amazing formations of God's creation under the earth--Kartchner Caverns
     888) Early evening dinners and cool summer salads
     889) Time to read and do laundry
     890) Our summer women's Bible Study~"Always True" by James MacDonald. God's promises for times when life is hard~and that is often
     891) Sitting on the patio in the morning light before the day heats up~Bird songs fill the air and stir joy in my heart.
     892) Monsoon season beginning~Rain is on the way!
     893) Shopping for clothes with youngest for perhaps the last time. I'm grateful he wanted me there as he picked out dress clothes.
     894) Exhaustion at the end of a full day and the comfort of a soft bed and hubby next to me.
 

    From My Heart to Yours,
Linking with Multitude Monday and Playdates with God



Labels: , , ,