The Peace of God

      Today we have the pleasure of reading the wit and wisdom of Sharon, my friend and author of the blog, "Sharon Sharing God".   Sharon is a married, 50-something, mother of two grown sons - and also the grandmother of a delightful beagle! She loves to share what God is doing during this time of great transition in her life. Sharon has graciously agreed to share the pearls she has garnered from the Lord about His peace. 
I know you will enjoy what she has to offer and want to follow her over at her place.

Peace of God. 


What do you think when you hear this phrase?


I think it sounds pretty. Like a gift all wrapped up in pretty paper with a pretty bow attached. It sounds simple… 


But, for me, peace is anything but simple.


You see, I’m a worrier, a fretter, a “stew on things” person. I wrestle with life, always trying to get the upper hand. Yes, I love the imagery of resting in green meadows, and being led beside peaceful streams…
 

But more often than not, I find myself smack dab in the middle of a weed patch, next to a dry gulch!
 

Are you anything like me? (Please tell me I’m not alone…!)
 

Why is that?
 

I’m a believer, an ardent follower of Jesus – I should be experiencing the Peace of God.
 

So, why is it so elusive? 


I think it’s because I’ve got the wrong perspective. You see, I’ve always thought peace meant an absence of anxiety – a calm, settled feeling – no worries, no fears, no problem. To me peace was found in happy circumstances – when life was just like it “should” be.


But life doesn’t unfold that way, does it? 


So here’s what God’s been teaching this stubborn heart of mine. The peace of God starts with making peace with God. I so often fail to remember that God and I were on opposite teams at one point. Sin separated us – and that would have been a forever thing. But God did something about that.


He sent a Savior – He sent His Son.
 

Jesus paid the price of sin, and bought our redemption. He bridged the gap – He made peace with God – so we would never have to face His wrath. Yes, I believe Jesus truly earned that lovely title The Prince of Peace. 


So, peace starts with a settling of accounts. With my sins being wiped out.
 

Peace starts with the promise of eternal life.
 

Once the issue of peace with God was settled, once I became a believer, then my eternity was sealed. My soul is safe…
 

That’s the heavenly perspective that brings everything else into focus.



But God had something else to teach me – something that has taken longer for this stubborn heart to learn.



My definition of peace had everything to do with me. With my ability or inability to control things – to control finances, health, circumstances – to control people. In my desperate striving to make life as it “should” be, I was trying to run my life according to me. (Life according to Sharon does NOT work, by the way…just sayin’) 


Peace is God’s work – not mine. 


Yes, truthfully, I’d love to have an easy lifefree of anxious worries and terrorizing fears. I’d love to be calm and settled all the time. I’d love to be “happy.”
 

But, I’d rather yield my heart to the One who loves me. The One who died for me. The One who speaks in a still, small voice to my heart – who says:


“MY peace I leave with you.”
 

My eternal issues are settled – thank you, Lord! And this life is firmly under HIS control. His eye never leaves me, He never slumbers or sleeps, He is watching me all the time. He will be with me until I am ushered into His presence forever… 


So here’s my new definition of peace – it’s found in Sharon’s Acrostic Dictionary (a wonderful tool – everyone should have one!!): 


P utting
E verything
A t the
C ross
E ternally


Now that is a very pretty picture indeed!

 


“Do not fret or have any anxiety about anything, but in every circumstance and in everything, by prayer and petition (definite requests), with thanksgiving, continue to make your wants known to God.



And God’s peace [shall be yours, that tranquil state of a soul assured of its salvation through Christ, and so fearing nothing from God and being content with its earthly
lot of whatever sort that is, that peace] which transcends all understanding, shall garrison and mount guard over your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.”
(Philippians 4:6-7, Amplified Bible)





Are you experiencing the Peace of God today?





BLOG = “Blessedly Leaning On God!” 

Be sure to stop by again on Wednesday when we will have another author guest posting. Jennifer Janes will be instructing us on how to be "Intentional." Look forward to having you drop by then.

Linking with Laura at the Wellspring for "Playdates with God"




Labels: , , ,