Being Intentional

Photo credit: Jennifer A. Janes

     Today we are privileged to have Jennifer as our featured guest-post writer.
She is a stay-at-home mom to two young daughters and writes a blog at Jennifer A. Janes. She is involved with a program for young writers in her area and is a teacher-consultant with the local site of the National Writing Project. She is also an advocate/case manager for her younger daughter, who has chronic health issues, sensory processing disorder, and dyslexia. Jennifer has written several articles about special needs issues at the "Homeschool Village."
 
I’m seeing the word intentional everywhere I turn. It started when I thought about my daughter turning eight years old, and I was struck by how quickly my time with her is passing by. I was alarmed because I haven’t taught her everything I want her to know before she leaves the nest. I realize I’ve still got time with her, but if I don’t become more intentional about teaching her what I believe God wants me to impart to her, she will leave home---and I will not have done my job.

I am living life too haphazardly. I tend to get caught up in the moment, heeding the call of the urgent and letting it drown out the whisper of the important. According to dictionary.com, the word intentional means “done with intention or on purpose; intended.” I’m not living my life on purpose. I’m losing days to things that have no real meaning, no eternal value.

It’s got to stop. If you want to know where you can find me this summer, I’ll be tucked away in a quiet place with my notebook, pen, and Bible on my lap. I’ll be reading devotionals and blogs like this one, which continually calls me to turn to God and pay attention to the whisper. I’ll be seeking guidance for how to live my life with the end in mind, listening for the still small voice that will show me the way.


“Teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom.” Psalm 90:12 (NIV84)


How are you living life on purpose?

     I'm sure you have enjoyed reading this post by Jennifer and will want to follow her at her blog site

Linking with Word-Filled Wednesdays at the Internet Cafe





Labels: , , ,