Grace on the Door

  
     "Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you." Ephesians 4:32 NIV

     A heart-shaped wreath wrapped in love and twined with flowers of variegated pinks and white graces our front door. But does this symbol of love grace the door to my heart each day? It is a thought I am pondering each day.
     Does wholesome talk come out of my mouth at every circumstance and situation? Do I say only that which is helpful for the building up of others according to their needs? Is my heart's desire to benefit those who listen? (Ephesians 4:29)
     One day of the year is set aside to shower another with affections, kind words, and demonstrations of love. However, Christ calls us to love one another each day.

     "My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than to lay down his life for his friends." John 15:11&12 NIV

     I don't think many of us would think of Valentine love as one that would prompt us to give our lives for another~except possibly the giving of our lives in marriage totally to our spouse. On the humorous side, I wonder if listening to ESPN 24/7 while having the drone of a sports announcer in the background, mumbling the moves of an athlete on the playing field (of any sport) counts as a dying love?
     As I put the heart-shaped candies out and decorate the chocolate cake with swirls of love, I pray my heart will recall the Scripture passage we had read at our wedding:

     "Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity." Colossians 3:12-14 NIV
    
     Where is your heart this holiday?

     May your Valentine's Day be filled with Christ's love, and may His love spill over from our lives to those around us.



From My Heart to Yours,


Joining others with thoughtful devotions at Spiritual Sundays and a Scripture and a Snapshot.



Sundays spent with HIM




Labels: , , , ,