Lessons From Chip, the Wonder Dog

    
     His face wags from side to side with delight as his fluffy, feathered-like tail swishes heart-stirring greetings to you at the door. Could there be any doubt that he adores you? He is Chip. Lovingly referred to as the "Wonder Dog" and the third bear cub in this almost-all-male household.


     Enthusiastically, he leaps and bounds across the family room to bring you his treasured toy. Just waiting for you to throw it again as he dances air-bound to grab the prize and lay it at your feet. All to do it once again.


     He seems to have an internal clock which we humans seem to lack. Come Friday night, even before you crouch on the bottom stair to tie your shoes, he prances round the kitchen. Somewhere deep within, he is aware that this is "Pizza Night." And he gets to ride with you in the car. His anticipating footsteps send him to the door only to turn around and find you are still tying your shoes on that bottom stair. So he waits, patiently.



     Are you upstairs on the computer? Is there a family gathering in the loft area bedecked with electronic gadgets? He noses a narrow pathway through the colliding office chairs.
     He just wants to be where you are.


     I've observed our faithful companions' loyal behavior and it has spoken to my heart about my affections for our Lord.
     Do I dance with glee and delight myself in the Lord's presence when I hear Him knocking at my heart's door?
     Do I enthusiastically leap from my distractions to bring my treasures to Him in prayer? Family concerns, friends' needs, hopes, dreams, a longing to laugh and play along life's adventures with Him?
     Is my internal clock ticking down the time until I get to slip away in quiet solitude with Him? Am I looking for the signs that He is tying His shoelaces (that He is preparing a time for me)?
     Am I content just to be with Him? Just for the ride? Not for a reward at the end?

     Is your heart tingling like mine? What am I waiting for? It's time to dance and play, to rejoice and rest with my King and God.

     "O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water.
     I have seen you in the sanctuary and beheld your power and your glory.
     Because your love is better than life, my lips will glorify you. I will praise you as long as I live, and in your name I will lift up my hands. 
     My soul will be satisfied as with the richest of foods; with singing lips my mouth will praise you."


Psalm 63:1-5 NIV

From My Heart to Yours,


Linking with Word-Filled-Wednesday at the Internet Cafe






Labels: , , ,