Gobbling Up Holiday Leftovers--Repackaged

     
     Holiday leftovers are still making the rounds at our home. It's one of the pleasures of this season that our family looks forward to. When the mounds of wrapping paper are wadded up and the lights on the tree are quiet, a slower pace descends upon our home. A time of reflection and a return to home-cooked meals enters as we try to restore energies spent in loving, giving, laughing, clinging to the treasure of family from California to Minnesota.
     One of our family's favorites that heat up winter evenings is Wild Rice-Turkey Casserole. Digging through the frozen storehouse, I find the freezer bags bulging with cut up turkey. Reserved for a tasty treat that savors the flavors of the holiday once more.
     When I realized I was posting a recipe for another casserole dish, I began to wonder if I secretly had Minnesota roots, like hubby. Hot dish, as it is called there, makes it to every gathering in that fair state. According to the tongue-in-cheek book, "How to Speak Minnesotan," hot dish is a mainstay of the Swedish diet there.  
     Whether you have Midwestern roots or not, I'm sure you'll relish this creative twist for leftovers.

WILD RICE-TURKEY CASSEROLE
Taken from Better Homes and Gardens All-Time Favorite Recipes

1 6oz. package long grain and wild rice mix (I use Uncle Ben's)
1/2 C chopped onion
1/2 C chopped celery
2 TBLS butter
1--10 and 3/4 oz can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1/2 C dairy sour cream
1/2 C dry white wine
1/2 tsp curry powder
2 C cubed cooked turkey or chicken (but we won't go there)
1/4 cup snipped parsley


     Prepare rice mix according to package directions. Meanwhile cook onion and celery in butter till tender. Stir in soup, sour cream, wine, and curry. Stir in chicken and cooked rice; turn into a 12x 7and1/2x 2-inch baking dish. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Garnish with snipped parsley.
Serves 4 to 6. 

     However, I have two young men who love this dish, so I doubled it tonight.  Good thing because youngest came back from an appetite-pumping basketball game--with a friend! It was a hit. And I don't think I have any leftovers. 

From My Heart to Yours,


Linking with Food on Fridays

Labels: ,