As life whirls around us, we teeter attempting to keep all the activities in our life in balance. Our pride keeps us jumping from one project to the next, proving how adept we are at handling the numerous activities to which we have said, "yes." We rush around, "keeping the plates spinning", as our pastor put it this Sunday, until life falls apart and we crash along with the plates and activities.
We have not learned to "Be still and know that I (He) am God" (Psalm 46:10). We are robbed of the rest God offers us. In His rest, we find the fulfillment, the purpose for which He created us. We discover it is not in the number of activities that we accomplish for Him, but in the time we spend resting in Him that we find the joy and peace that He desires to give us.
Many things can rob us of godly rest--as opposed to idleness--unbelief, guilt, circumstances, trials, unresolved conflicts, diet, medications, and physical and emotional problems to mention just a few. When we focus on the issues in our lives, we will sink just as Peter did when he focused on the wind instead of the Lord as he stepped out of the boat onto the water (Matthew 14: 27-33) In the circumstances that surround us, we can find rest, wisdom to resolve our problems, and strengthened faith as we place it all in the loving arms of the Lord.
Today, I am finding rest in Psalm 91: 14-16
"'Because he loves me,' says the Lord, 'I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name. He will call upon me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him. With long life will I satisfy him and show him my salvation.'" (NIV)
Thanking the Lord for blessings this week:
201) for the peace found in Your Word
202) that You, Lord, are sovereign in every trial
203) for long-time friendships that bless our lives even if we can only visit for a short while
204) for fellowship gatherings where we grow closer to You and each other
205) for a job that blesses others and fills me with joy
206) for time to clean our home
207) for butterflies flitting through the garden
208) for cloudy skies keeping the temperature cooler
209) for our faithful dog who blesses us with love unconditional
210) for those who pray for us
Linking up with the Gratitude Community at Ann Voskamp @ Holy Experience
Labels: Christian Inspiration, Creation, Faith, Friendship, Gratitude Community, Pets