He is Our Provider

Google Image
   
     Ever since I read Ann Voskamp's heart-wrenching stories of hopeful, wondering, accepting round-eyed children and saw the vivid tear-stained faces of poverty in Guatemala, I have been asking myself, "Do I really NEED another tee-shirt, a fragrant candle, one more pair of shoes, or__________________ (fill in the blank)? Or is this just the disease of materialism fanning the flame of WANT within me and telling me that it is okay to be self-indulgent, satiated, and hungering for more?
     Yes, the Lord is our provider and He will supply all of our NEEDS, not our WANTS (Philippians 4:19 NIV).  If we look carefully at this blessing which Paul says the Lord will provide, it follows Paul's gratitude to the Philippian church for their giving spirit.
     "for even when I was in Thessalonica, you sent me aid again and again when I was in need.  Not that I am looking for a gift, but I am looking for what may be credited to your account.  I have received full payment and even more; I am amply supplied, now that I have received from Epaphroditus the gifts you sent.  They are a fragrant offering, an acceptable sacrifice, pleasing to God.  And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:16-19 NIV

from Compassion International.com

     To receive from the Lord, we must give. At least this is what the passage seems to say to me.  We are the hands of the Lord reaching out in blessing to others. I may not need another tee-shirt, but there are thousands in the world who could use a brand new, crisp, clean tee-shirt.  Give from your heart.  Give generously.  Give cheerfully.  For the Lord loves a cheerful giver.  And He will open the floodgates of heaven to provide for you abundantly both spiritually and physically.

     Where does the Lord want to use your hands this week?

     Thanking the Lord this week for His provision and blessing in our lives:
     232) for another week of work and the possibility of a new position at the school where I am working
     233) for the garbage disposal not being broken and just having a bone caught between the blades
     234) for a tie for youngest that was priced at $36 but cost only $7
     235) for an unexpected refund in the mail
     236) for Hubby catching the snake in our garage and disposing of it
     237) for our young men cooking dinner~and family smiles all around the table
     238) for a friend finding joy after grief
     239) for oranges and lemons on our trees
     240) for our women's retreat~sitting among new friends~joy in sitting where the Lord pulled out the chair
     241) for children's hugs and smiles at school

Linking with the Gratitude Community at Ann Voskamp's Holy Experience 

holy experience
  

Labels: , ,