Love in the Kitchen

  
    We were meandering down the floral-lined streets, poking in and out of those boutiques you only find on vacation. Hoping to not test Hubby's patience, I drew him into one of the tiny shops by remarking about some unique items displayed in the window. Tall vases with long stems of colorful, elegant flowers flowed into the aisles. Tiny lights embedded in the flowers made them even more appealing.
     "Couldn't you picture these in our entry way?" I invited him to join me in my musings.  He quickly navigated to the section of books tucked away in a corner of the shop. Subject dropped, I followed him, just browsing.
     As he pulled the books off the shelf, one by one, we discovered an array of cookbooks, gourmet and food specific.  One for paninis, one for grilled-cheese sandwiches, one for S'mores.  The allure of gooey, roasted marshmallow stretching between two delicate layers of graham crackers, oozing with chocolate captured my appetite.  A whole book on S'mores. Some with caramel topping, some layered with peanuts, others using rich chocolate chip cookies as the sandwich in place of graham crackers.  There were minty brownie ones and some using apples and caramel.


     Then it caught my eye.  Mixed in with the linen towels was a heart-shaped wooden spoon.  Handmade.  I delighted over it.  Commented on its unique shape.  The beauty of the wood.  I fingered it.  Caressed its wood.  And Hubby watched me with knowing eyes.
     "Would you like it?" he asked.   "Oh, it's really special," I said, but hesitated.  I had resolved to not spend money on this vacation.  I treasured it some more and carefully placed it back amidst the linens. "But, I don't think so."
      Hubby knew this heart-shaped spoon had won my heart.  And he gently picked up the spoon, carrying it carefully to the cash register.
      Back home from our romantic get-away, I finally placed the heart-shaped treasure among the old wooden spoons in my woven basket of kitchen tools.  I would never use it for cooking.  Instead, it would be a daily reminder in my kitchen of my husband's love for me.
   
      "Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.  Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another.  Forgive as the Lord forgave you.  And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity." Colossians 3:12-14 NIV (used for our wedding)


  

Labels: , , ,