Helpful Hints from the Housewife's Diary

  Photo from Crestock
     Shower walls streaked with soap scum screamed at me, "We've been Neglected".  Dreading the job ahead, I donned an ugly pair of shorts and a shirt now dubbed "for cleaning".  Armed with sponges, cloths, cleanser, and a blue bucket half full of water, I shored up my confidence and attacked those walls with all the wisdom of an imaginary "Helpful Housewife Hints" book.
     Squishing the rectangular sponge in the water, I liberally covered it in the foaming cleanser.  With vertical and horizontal motion, I scrubbed the bluish-white cleaner all over the first marble-like wall.  At first glance, it appeared to have removed the sticky film.  Until I looked closer. This would take more work than anticipated.
     My first thought was to jackhammer the project and call in someone who could build a new shower.  Then I became rational and realized the secret was in the dreaded elbow grease, rubber gloves, and an all purpose rag.  My hands would become one with the wall as I rubbed away the dirt with my fingers.
     One hour later, the shower smiled back at me. Left behind, though, were the marks of dried droplets of sprayed water. Only a marble cleaner would make these walls shine and SEAL them against future invasions of soap scum and water marks.
     As I scrubbed hard, the Lord  brought to mind the scouring of my own soul. How He removes the dirt, time and time again. He never gives up on us.  Never wants to throw us out and build a new model.  He patiently cleans us again and again.  And He has sent His Holy Spirit to SEAL us so that nothing can harm our finish--the guarantee of eternal life (better than a warranty on your shower).
 
     What makes you want to throw in the towel (pardon the pun)?  What sins do you have that you think God cannot remove?  Have you ever felt like just giving up? 


     In Scripture, the Lord says, "Come now, let us reason together," says the Lord.  "Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool."  Isaiah 1:18 NIV


     "Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God's possession--to the praise of his glory." Ephesians 1:13b-14 NIV

Labels: ,