The Sweet Taste That Lingers; Day 8 in 31 dbbb

 
   My cousin and I were reminiscing by email about my mother's delicious baked goods.  It is an undisputed fact in our family that my Mom, Aunt Louise, was a great cook  She whipped up a delicious chocolate cake that was light and moist, smothered in rich milk chocolate.  My cousin was hoping to secure that recipe, now buried somewhere in my pantry--I hope.
     Our conversation was spurred by my list of gratitudes that she had viewed from a previous day.  It included thanksgiving for my Mom's old orange loaf recipe.  My cousin requested that one as well. I could lay my hands on it as I had just made the melt-in-your-mouth loaf.
     Our ticking back and forth on the keys became amusing as I noted the recipe probably originated in the 1940s from a Betty Crocker insert in the flour bags.  You could hear the laughter through the computer as she noted the mixing instructions said, "you may rest a moment when beating by hand."  Because whether you beat the batter by hand or with that new fangled contraption--the mixer--it would still take four minutes.  Someone at Betty Crocker was taking pity on the poor cook!
     In a similar way, our Lord has compassion on us when He calls us away to rest.  All of our new inventions that have made life easier, have not made life simpler.  We just add more activities to fill those extra minutes provided by our electronic wonders.
     Have you taken time to rest in the Lord today and taste His goodness?  It is even better than Mom's orange loaf or chocolate cake!  Enjoy the sweetness that lasts!

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28 NIV

"Taste and see that the Lord is good:..." Psalm 34:8 NIV

Today's post is part of the 31 dbbb.  Our assignment was to interlink our posts, giving the reader more information, more articles to peruse. I linked the words "gratitutes" and "orange loaf recipe" to last week's post, Every Good and Perfect Gift, which included mention of my Mom's recipe.